Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sugar, Sugar

As we come upon the holidays, I knew I had to share one of my “tried and true” recipes for our family.  It’s for sugar cookies. 

My husband is mad for them.  A holiday isn’t a holiday without them.  He, unlike me, does not like the autumnal spices (and therefore, the before-blogged-about pumpkin bread,)  rich creamy Christmas desserts, too fancy chocolate concoctions for Valentine’s Day or any other time, or sickening sweet, fluffy Easter treats.   Simply put, holidays = sugar cookies

Luckily, one can customize sugar cookies for the holidays.  I have cookie cutters even for Thanksgiving.  Alas, I am not an accomplished cookie decorator, so I usually just add a theme-colored icing and perhaps sprinkles.  Nonetheless, the holidays arrive and we’ve marked them in our own family tradition.

Of course, for my “Sugar” I had to do his cookies right.  So, I searched for a while and finally found a great recipe in the now defunct Rosie magazine.  It has a hint of lemon extract in it, which gives it a really nice taste.  The dough needs to be chilled before using and it helps to roll it out a couple of times with a little flour to get it to a great cut out consistency.

This is for you, Curt:

032

Sugar Cookies from Rosie magazine

3 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp lemon extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.  In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in eggs and extracts.  On low, add flour mixture.  Wrap and chill until firm.

Bake cut outs at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

024

025

027

028

029

030

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I've been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe. So far my favorite has been Betty Crocker. I'll have to give this a try.

lisaann said...

Thanks Amanda! You'll have to let me know...

Lucy said...

glad you're back blogging. i was beginning to worry about you =). i, too, have a sugar cookie recipe that i love. i just can't bear to eat other people's yucky sugar cookies. i will have to try this one out and compare to mine - and i'll send mine over, too, if you want to try it. i wish decorating cookies wasn't such a chore with young kidss!

lisaann said...

Brooke, yes, send it to me and Amanda, too, since she's looking for a recipe.

Anonymous said...

I like to make them with almond extract in the dough and lemon extract in the icing. It sound weird, but it is so good :)

kathi said...

I fondly remember the artsy-psychedelic icing on your reindeer sugar cookies we made when we where roommates before your move out West.

I kept looking if you updated your blog; all I could say when I looked today is "finally".