Monday, January 18, 2010

Donde esta Susana?

Esta en la cocina.  

You’ve just read some of the weighty banter in the dialogs of my early Spanish classes.  I took Spanish from 6th grade all the way through high school and ended up with it as a Minor at BYU.  And as many of you know very well, I grew up in a suburb of New York City, Norwalk, Connecticut.  There,  the highlight of each year in Spanish class was the obligatory trip to a Mexican restaurant.  Which was slightly off because back East, at the time (the 1970’s) at least, the curriculum emphasized the Castellano language.  Meaning Spanish from Spain.  I distinctly remember that our choice of restaurants hailed from nearby Westport.  And they had Mexican cuisine, not Spanish.  There, and certainly not at home, I was introduced to Mexican food. 

Most international foods weren’t tolerated in our house.  So, I had to move to Provo, Utah as a college freshman to experience a more regular diet of Mexican cuisine.   But it wasn’t really as authentic as it was ‘Southwestern,’ which is code for lots of cheese and mildly hot spices.  But, hey, I’m not ‘dissing’ the Mexican food west of the Continental Divide!  Quite the opposite, really.  I enjoy making my enchilada casseroles and tacos.  They are tasty, comforting and generally easy.  Plus, there’s cheese! 

Although I haven’t been back home for several years, I do remember the first Taco Bell arrival in the late 80s early 90s.  I believe there are now even more in the area.  So, in addition to those fancy authentic Mexican eateries, Norwalkers can enjoy Southwestern food from the ‘Taco Hell,’ just like I can here in the West.  

004

For you cooks, however, here’s one of my favorite, and easy, dinner recipe finds.  It  is my taco casserole, adapted from the box and can label recipe book I’ve mentioned previously.

So, now that we’re sharing regional menus all across the nation, I wonder why our country is reported to be so polarized these days?  Mexican/Southwestern food just might bring us all together.  I just want to know from the people back home, though, are there churros at your Costco food courts, too? 

Lisa’s Silverado Taco Casserole

4 cups Tostitos strip style chips, separated in half

1 lb ground beef

Taco seasoning, below, or 1 packet of your favorite

1/2 cup water

8 oz can tomato sauce

2 tbsp dried onion

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef, drain.  Return to pan with water and taco seasoning.  Simmer 8-10 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in tomato sauce and onion.

Spray sides and bottom of deep casserole dish with Pam.  Layer with half of chips, meat mixture, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, remaining chips, remaining cheese.  Garnish top with olive or tomato slices, if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Taco Seasoning adapted from Make A Mix

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp crushed dried red pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp ground cumin

Mix together and use in place of 1 packet of taco seasoning.  2 tsps dried onion may be added if onion is not already in browned meat or in recipe.

001

layering the ingredients

002

before the oven

003

the finished product 

4 comments:

Lynne said...

That's something even my picky Padwans might eat... I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

btw... where is Lori R and is Gaylene still in Sunnyvale?

lisaann said...

Lori is married with 2 girls in NYC. Gaylene was in Sunnyvale but just bought a townhome. I think it's in Morgan Hill. I can send you their emails if you like. Just let me know.

Your Cuzzy said...

Yes, there are churros at Costco in Norwalk, CT.
Janet

Hallway Express said...

I love Mexican food! I never thought of making my own taco seasoning. I enjoy these rather simple, yummy dinners. Thanks for sharing, you do so well in blogging :)