Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Case For The Apron

Do you wear an apron in the kitchen? I do. I feel very strongly about it, for reasons I’ll detail below. But I’m feeling a bit like a dinosaur every time I wear it.
Let me paint you a picture. We live on a small private road that ends in something akin to a cul-de-sac. Maybe a dead end is more accurate. Our house is the second house as you enter on the street, so all those that live beyond towards the dead end drive by our house. A non-eventful cow pasture is on the other side of the street. Naturally, then, as people drive by, they look at our house. Invariably, if I am outside, I am wearing my apron. I have either finished kitchen clean-up and am taking out the trash or I’m on our porch, visible to the street, barbequing something on our gas grill. My neighbors must think that my apron is permanently attached. In my paranoid ideation, they are also thinking that I am an oppressed homemaker locked in the kitchen. I want to send them all a copy of my apron manifesto:
I solemnly declare that I love to cook because it’s creative, it provides more nutritious, less expensive meals for my family and it provides a gathering each night for family time and discussion. Because I cook, I make a mess, and while cleaning up this mess, an apron helps me avoid that tell-tale dishwashing mark on my pants, where my stomach is. It also provides pockets for me to put loose papers or the phone. It is my uniform that reminds others and myself that I am working and cannot stop and play the Wii (well, not often anyway.)
I’ll leave off my last reason, which is of course that I leave on the apron while I’m eating, too, to avoid spills/stains on my clothes. It’s less obtuse than sticking a napkin in my collar a la ranch-hand style.
Here’s a photo of my new beloved friend in the kitchen, a Christmas gift from my sister. It’s here to stay, food stains and all.
001
I invite any and all who read this to email me photos of their aprons, which I will post in subsequent postings.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I love reading your posts! So creative! Between you and Brooke, I feel quite boring.

Amanda said...

By the way, I don't wear an apron. Instead I get irritated when I splatter spaghetti sauce or grease on my clothes and only then think that I should have put on an apron. Some people never learn!

The Davis Family said...

I love your apron post.... too funny and so true! =)

kathi said...

The apron came with a cook book as a fund raiser for Safe House Ethiopia. http://www.safehouseethiopia.org/

I showed the picture to my cube neighbor, Jeff, who was very involved in getting the cook book together - recipes from our employees, distributors around the world. I overheard a lot of conversation, and it takes alot of hard work to pull a charity cookbook together.

I haven't tried any of the recipes, but reading it is very educational.

I did submit my recipe for Strawberry/Spinich Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing and my Stawberry Rhubarb pie - both didn't make it. I guess I'm not as talented as my sister. :)

lisaann said...

Kat-If they won't publish your recipes, publish them yourself...in a blog! Pretty clever, huh?

kathi said...

WOW; you're sooooo clever, I would never have thought of that. That's why you're the SMART sister; I'm just the drop dead gorgeous one.

signed; bitter, party of one.

love ya anyway!!