Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Recipe Adjustments

The cuisine in my house was simple. My mom's spices of choice were salt, pepper and onion powder. She cooked great meat and potato dishes with her trio: pot roast, roasts, whole chickens and turkey. She occasionally cooked German dishes like sauerbraten for my dad.


Growing up in the melting pot of the New York City metro area, I was of course introduced to other fare. My best-friend-growing-up's-mom was my mentor in basic Italian cooking, whether she knew it or not. (By the way, she isn't Italian herself, but developed her great dishes after marrying into an Italian-American family.) I was a latch-key teen and I hung out in Elaine's kitchen a lot after school. I can't imagine how annoying I was, always there, drinking their costly 'fancy' Tropicana orange juice while quoting the advertising catchphrase "Orange juice isn't just for breakfast anymore." My other joke was that Elaine was perpetually "breading something." At least she put me to work from time to time, grating or peeling. Needless to say, those afternoons provided to me much more than cooking lessons. Her dishes represented a time of family togetherness, albeit in a borrowed family. Good food oftentimes becomes the face of good memories. One of these recipes that I loved looked easy enough, so I began making it as a young adult. Baked ziti, a staple for any celebration.


Somehow, the richness of the dish did not impress those west of the continental divide. All that ricotta cheese made my friends and coworkers uneasy about fat grams, I guess. My husband definitely didn't enjoy my baked ziti at all. I think the ricotta was just too exotic. But my son loves both pasta and cheese. So, when looking for some meatless meals to throw into the menu mix, I revised the recipe enough to please both of my boys. The part-skim mozzarella melted on top makes the meal close enough to the original for my benefit. I served it tonight with green beans and everyone enjoyed the family meal. Mangiare!


Quick Baked Ziti

8 oz. penne or ziti pasta, cooked and drained
2 cups of part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated, divided
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce


Mix pasta, sauce, parmesan cheese and 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese in large bowl. Pour into 8x8 glass pan which has been lightly sprayed with Pam. Top with remaining mozzarella. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. (Recipe can be easily doubled for a 9x13 pan.)

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Lisa! Look at you entering the blogging world! I love your culinary theme. Very creative...and tasty! I'm hungry just reading your recipe. Must be lunch time. I'm going to sign up as your first follower now. Only fitting as you were my first.

lisaann said...

You and Brooke inpired me! Curt is still cursing your names, no doubt. He wishes I left his picture out...

Thanks for the feedback.

lisaann said...

Oops, that was inspired...

Your Cuzzy said...

Leisle!
So glad my mom was able to make it four women who are "perpetually breading"! So glad you started your own blog, it's great!

Your Cuzzy said...

Hey Lisa, Karen told me about your blog. Thanks for mentioning my mom. I know she will be thrilled to know she had an impact on you. She always had a way of putting us all to work didn't she? I too have very fond memories of sitting around our kitchen table doing the most basic tasks but having a fun time doing it. One of my favorites was stringing popcorn and cranberries for the Christmas tree. Thanks for being there, you made it all bearable!
Janet
PS: Your blog looks great.

kathi said...

WOW, I never was allowed in your lower Kettle Road world. I'm glad you have such great cooking memories. Hopefully it makes up for Grandma traumatizing you with raw meatloaf.

Great blog!!!

Love, Kathi

lisaann said...

Yes, Kathi, it's amazing that I will cook at all after that! It might make a good blog someday...

Lucy said...

i've been waiting for you to succomb to the pressure ... awesome to see you blogging. i hope you keep it up. i sure miss having a neighbor to chat with.

Anonymous said...

I want to see the recipe with the ricotta!