Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Giant Donut

I am going to girl's camp for the next few days. I’m sure I’ll have material for some culinary discussions from the camp fare! Meanwhile, I wanted to tell you a quick, funny story.
jack's baptism 7-4-09 002
Last week, I was having a couple of friends over to watch a ‘chick flick.’ Running short on time, I made a cake from a boxed mix. (SHOCK!) But I made the icing from scratch, if that counts for anything. I usually make a 9x13 cake and leave it in the glass pan. That’s the easiest. But since this occasion warranted a bit more fuss, I used a Bundt pan. When Jack saw the finished product, he exclaimed “You made me a giant donut!” I kind of wish I did after his over-the-top reaction.
Perfect Frosting’ from Child Magazine
1 cup butter, unsalted, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tbsp milk
Mix very well until fluffy. For chocolate, substitute 1/2 cup cocoa for 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I halved recipe for the Bundt cake and had just enough.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That really does look like a giant donut! Happy camping!

Your Cuzzy said...

Hee hee! It does!

Is the camping really "camping", or just going away? Do you have to bring your mess kit?!

lisaann said...

Girl's Camp is a church campout for girls 12-17. It's structured where they pass off a new level each year by doing things like first aid, hiking, outdoor cooking. Just like girl scouts, Karen! And I DID think of mess kits when I watched the amount of paper plates and cups and plastic utensils go in the garbage. I still think that how we sterilized everything and hung up our dunk bags was the cleverest technique I have ever seen! We slept in already set up teepees, a first for me!

I went as one of the leaders of our church girls-14 of them. It was very fun but cold and filled with dirt and mosquitos. Curt took off work to be Mr. Mom. I'm glad to be home, now, though!

ps. No alien sightings over the lake, Karen! "I am so afraid." "Yes, Judith, we are all afraid."