Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Crock Pot: Friend or Foe?

A couple of years back, my husband and I worked with two other couples to plan a church dinner.  We were serving barbequed beef sandwiches, I believe, and each couple brought their crock pots to keep the meat warm.  We had a big laugh that night when we observed our crock pots, all wedding gifts.  Mike and Patrice had a harvest gold crock pot, as they were the longest married couple by far.  We dated that crock pot to the early 80’s.  Guy and Sandra brought their late 80’s country blue crock pot.  And we, being married in the late 90’s, had the lovely forest green deal accented with purple.  (Now, they make crock pots in stainless steel and sleek black, for your information.)
005
While many friends rave about cooking in the crock pot, I remain lukewarm (pun intended.)  I am not opposed to the ease and time saving at all.  I love the fact that it helps avoid heating up the oven, also.  But I am not convinced that dishes taste as good when slow cooked in a crock pot.  I’ve had personal exceptions, of course.  I’ve left beef brisket and barbeque sauce in one for a day and loved the sandwiches with the beef!  I’ve misplaced a wonderful recipe for Philly cheese steak beef cooked with onions and peppers.  Hopefully, I’ll unearth that someday soon.  But stews and soups don’t seem to taste as good to me without my constant meddling.  It could be that I am a control freak in the kitchen.  Maybe I just haven’t tried the right recipes.  Or maybe I’m just crock pot impaired.
007
In the past I attended a lecture from one of the authors of this cookbook and with starry eyes bought it in hopes of great, easy Sunday dinners.  I’ve had mixed success.  This past weekend, I tried a new recipe from the cookbook and was pretty pleased.  I made creamy chicken soft tacos and thought they were very tasty.  But the soft tacos needed to be grilled once they were filled to give an extra crunch to the shell.  Jack liked them and even ate them again as leftovers, which is a solid endorsement.  Curt was turned off by the sour cream creaminess.  Oh well, two out of three thumbs up aren't bad!
I’d be interested in the readers’ thoughts and successes with the crock pot.  Maybe I can figure out what my problem is.  If it simply means I should go out and buy the new, prettier stainless steel version, I’m game!
Creamy Chicken Soft Tacos   from 101 Things To Do With A Slow Cooker by Stephanie Ashcraft and Janet Eyring
4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
1 cup sour cream
6-8 flour tortillas
Spray slow cooker with Pam.  Place chicken on bottom.  Pour salsa on top.  Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours or low 10-12 hours.  An hour before they’re done, break chicken apart with fork and mix in sour cream.  Makes 6-8 servings. 
Fold chicken mix inside warm tortillas with lettuce and grated cheddar cheese, if desired.
004
006

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good. You could use it to make enchiladas.
I use my crock pot at least once a month. We are not soup eaters so I dont make that. I usually do beef and pork roasts. The pork makes excellent bbq sandwiches! I am thankful when I use my crockpot, I have a home cooked meal READY after work!
Debbie

Amanda said...

I've had similar experiences with crock pot cuisine. I have found two recipes I really like that I'll send you. One is from Barbara Kime, who brought a meal after Grace came home from her bout with RSV at the hospital. The other is one I found in a trusty crock-pot cook book. It's one of the better crock pot cook books I've found. You'll have to scan through it when you're here in a few weeks and copy some recipes that look good to you. I may be able to sneak your taco recipe by Darrel...the sour cream isn't too obvious.

Anonymous said...

You inspired me. I took a frozen pork loin roast and a bottle of fruit salsa and used the crock pot.
I thought it dry but Russ like it!
Yeah!! The x two recipe was
bbq sandwiches in the crock pot.
I cut the meat up added some bbq sauce and heated it up in the crock pot! That was delicioius!
Debbie

lisaann said...

Okay, now you've given me courage to try more! The fruit salsa with the pork sounds yummy! I'll let you know if I try it...

Your Cuzzy said...

Rick LOVES stew in the crock pot, and I love how easy it is. Of course, because I work from home, I am SO ready to eat after smelling it all day!

I've also had success with pot roast. Doreen has done chili in it, which was delicious.

I have an updated, stainless steel version (as my 1988 one finally gave out). I love it because the inside bowl comes out for easy clean-up in the dishwasher... yippee!