Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back in the Real World

Jack and I are back from our twelve day, four state, two thousand mile road trip as of yesterday!  We had a very good time, visited with dear friends and family and played.  Curt was left at home to work and care for our cat, Simon, and dog, Jewels.

Here is an overview of how we all survived, food-wise:

Jack and Lisa

While I would have loved to have searched out local haunts, a la the Food Network Show, “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives,” being on the road with Jack, age 8, left us making our dining out choices based solely on the latest kids meal toy promotions. 
However, we were lucky (or cunning, perhaps) enough to have lodged with good cooks.  Among my favorites were Les and Sharon’s duo of salads, a three bean mixture and an avocado and bacon green salad with a savory home made dressing.  Carlin made a fantastic potato salad along with yummy hamburgers.   Clara made me the first of two birthday cakes and a crock pot meal of chicken and funeral potatoes.  (Questions about ‘funeral potatoes’?  I’ll answer them in a future posting.)  Amanda made me the second birthday cake with her homemade white peaked frosting.  She also treated us to the largest pancakes I have ever seen.  Janeen made Amanda’s chicken cordon bleu.  Wendy took me out for a birthday dinner at my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City, 'Z Tejas'.  Finally, Rick and Stephanie had a great barbeque for us on our first night out in Boise.  And I also have promises of recipes for Amanda’s mom’s blueberry muffins and Brooke’s pizza crust, which Amanda claims top the food charts.

Curt

I must warn you, this next report is not nearly as favorable.  When I returned home, the fridge looked quite bleak.  All the sliced turkey was gone, apparently finished up as bribes for the lonely pets.  The two dozen eggs I bought were left untouched.  There was no milk, it was discarded once the expiration date was reached.  Thus, the cereal was not eaten.  All but one of the frozen Hawaiian rice bowls I bought in a large pack from Costco was used up, and I don’t think Curt will ever want me to purchase them again.   Bottom line, before my trip would have proven to be an ideal time to purchase stock for both McDonald’s and Coca-Cola as a single consumer here in Central Washington may have very well raised the stock prices of each.

Simon and Jewels

The cat ate the new dog food voraciously.  Somewhere at the beginning of the second week, Curt ran out of our essential reward (more accurately, payola for going outside to do your business and/or stop picking on the cat) for Jewels, Pup-Peroni.  Both animals reportedly were quite irritable with Curt, presumably because his unwillingness to cook left them with no table scraps.

056I’m not tooting my own horn here, but I feel very safe in saying that the above picture is a welcome site for my family.  A kitchen being used is a beautiful thing.  Even Jewels seems quite content to laze about, waiting for me to drop something by mistake.
059Tonight I made a quick chicken parmesian (this cook suddenly realizes all the Italian dishes she presents are of the ‘quick’ variety) and spaghetti.  And my family’s favorite Italian comfort food, garlic bread.  I’ve tried many versions of it, including using fresh garlic, but found that this is the best tasting and easiest.  Jack likes it with mozzarella cheese melted on top, but since the chicken had the cheese, we kept it simple.
060The chicken is dipped in egg beaten with a bit of water, then into Progresso Italian bread crumbs.  Then brown in olive oil in a hot non-stick pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.  Top with a small slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese, then return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until melted.  Top with sauce.

Lisa’s Garlic Bread
1 loaf of Italian bread
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 to 3/4 tsp of garlic powder, to taste
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
Mix butter, garlic powder and parsley flakes well.   Cut bread in half lengthwise.  Spread butter on each half.  Broil for 2-3 minutes, watching to prevent burning.
058   
061
After tonight’s meal, everyone seems happier and more relaxed.  It’s good to be home.

6 comments:

kathi said...

Welcome home, I missed your blog posts!!!

DS said...

Welcome Home!
I missed your food!
Debbie

lisaann said...

Thanks, ladies, it's good to feel loved!

Amanda said...

Ahh, nothing like a home-cooked meal!

Lucy said...

great. now i feel like the loser friend who didn't feed you anything. i'll make it up to you next time. and yes, the pizza crust is wonderful if i do say so myself. glad you're home and back to blogging. LOVE your sign about comments ... i'm might have to steal it for my blog.

lisaann said...

Brooke, thanks in advance for the crust recipe. Amanda should get it to me, but I know how to reach you, too.

I found that sign in the freebies section of either the 'Cutest blog on the block' or one of those others if you can't figure out how to get it from me directly.