Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Better Than A Banquet

scan0001 me at age 13 with my mom
We always ate dinner together as a family back then. We hardly ever ate out, perhaps once in a while on the weekend. Now, our family was far from perfect and my mother was often dismayed with our lack of table manners and refined conversation. But it was comforting to be there, eating our night’s meal with one another.
 
My mom, as I have mentioned before, was a simple meat and potatoes cook. When I was a teenager, she worked full-time and often would leave me notes for when I returned from school instructing me to peel potatoes to cook and mash. One of my favorite entrees that she would buy for an easy meal was the Banquet brand of Salisbury steaks. The frozen foil tray contained six meat patties along with plenty of gravy for the potatoes. Two trays of Salisbury steaks, potatoes, and some cooked-from-frozen vegetables were always a big hit at our house. I just checked, they still make them:
Dinner - Salisbury Steak
I’m not sure I could eat them anymore, except in a very real pinch. And then I would probably realize they weren’t nearly as good my memories claim. Besides, I get frightened by ingredient lists longer than three lines. I came across a homemade Salisbury steak recipe using Campbell’s French Onion soup. Since the soup is difficult to find (and has its own extensive ingredient list,) I revised it to use a product that I highly endorse. I also use it when I make beef stew. It’s called “Better Than Bouillon.”
seattle aug 09 055 My husband and son really enjoy my Salisbury steaks, too. The dish exemplifies comfort food. And it’s still comforting to be eating a family dinner together every night.
 

Lisa’s Salisbury Steaks
1 and 1/4 cups water, boiling
2 tsp Better Than Bouillon
1/4 cup dried onions
1 and 1/4 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp flour
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup water
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Stir bouillon into boiling water. Add onions. Measure out 1/3 cup of broth and onions, set aside the rest.

Mix beef, 1/3 cup of broth, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper well. Form into 6 patties. Brown both sides in non-stick deep sauté pan.

Whisk flour well with remaining broth. Add catsup, 1/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Pour over browned patties and turn over patties to well coat. Turn burner to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done.

seattle aug 09 053the broth with onions
seattle aug 09 052 browning patties
seattle aug 09 054
served with mashed potatoes, of course

2 comments:

kathi said...

mmmm..... yummy!

Your Cuzzy said...

Lisa! You savage! I can't believe you kept this from me for so long! I KNOW Rick will LOVE this. I'm printing the recipe out right now!