Sunday, May 3, 2009

Call the Cooking Police, I’m Stuck in the Sixties!

003 Does this cookbook offend you? Do you think cooking from labels of cans and bottles is wrong? I met one cook who thought it was cheap to cook like this, almost like cheating. The idea being that a ‘real’ cook used only pure ingredients, not something vulgar like ketchup.
I am not so pristine in the kitchen. Cooking from a cookbook like this for me is okay because, and only because, some of the food is quite yummy. It is also familiar. It is an extension of my early years, the formative ones.
I’m from the tail end of the baby boomers, born in the early sixties. Our moms managed their meals carefully while in abundant times when their pantries were stocked with canned goods. scan0002They proudly exchanged recipes like the ones in this book, as if finding a new use for something they already have on hand marked a resourceful, clever cook. I don’t remember any of my neighbors being known for being scan0001gourmet cooks in our



little corner of suburbia, but there were many successful cooks who always had hot, ample meals waiting for the family at the end of a day. (First photo, my 6th birthday, July 1968, second photo, with friends Dean and Bobby, 1970.)
Fast forward to today. Using fresher, organic ingredients is what’s in style. Haven’t we all heard that we need to shop only on the outside walls of the supermarket, where the fresh produce, dairy, meat and bread are? We all know what we should do. However, we buy fast and frozen food like never before due to time crunches and maybe even boredom. Can we instead glean ideas from the past to make our meals more satisfying, sort of a trans-generational mix of healthy meets comfort and ease? (In the current economic climate, we may have to.)
And a cookbook like this already tells you what was best from the past. I personally use about four dinner recipes from this book. But I’ve adapted them a bit to suit what we now know is healthier. I have found that the salt measurements in these recipes are much too high for our modern taste buds and health practices, so I lower them. I adjust some of the more fattening ingredients. I make sure to use goods with no MSG. I use healthier oil, like olive oil.
I recently found out that Curt was bragging at work about one of the meals I make from this book, quick Chinese pepper steak. (The fact that he even mentioned one of my meals to them made me smile. Call me dependent…but that’s another posting soon.) So, I sent the recipe in. Several of his co-workers, including men who do the cooking, have reportedly prepared it. They all gave very positive feedback, including that it’s very easy and simple yet quite tasty. I’ve listed the recipe below, with adjustments to the amount and type of soy sauce and also the type of oil. Also, I’ve not been able to find Ehler’s brand of Au Jus seasoning (does it still exist?,) but have found two or three brands available.
So what if you occasionally feel like you’re in an episode of Leave It To Beaver while you’re eating dinner? I’m sure June Cleaver was a great cook.
001cooking in wok
005   served over steamed rice
Quick Chinese Pepper Steak
(adapted from Best Recipes From the backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars)
1 lb. round steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 envelope Ehler’s Au Jus Gravy Mix
3/4 c water
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 c hot cooked rice
Cook meat, onion and pepper in skillet in hot oil until meat is browned. Stir in remaining ingredients except rice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

5 comments:

Your Cuzzy said...

Love the photo's Lisa. Great bow!
Nice easy recipe. I do something like this with chicken. My problem is the rice. I can't cook rice to save my life. Any tips besides instant?

Janet

lisaann said...

I have a rice cooker. It's a small one (maximum 9 cups cooked rice) that's great for just 3 cups at a time. Make sure to add 1 tbsp. butter or oil and a little salt, though, even though the instructions say optional. My cooker's brand is zojirushi. Curt researched them out on the internet and bought it on cooking.com, I think. They're great, just put the water, rice, butter and salt in, turn it on and leave it.

Would love your chicken recipe if you have a chance to email it!

kathi said...

Janet;

Curt loves his rice; so Lisa has to make a lot of it. Me, I don't cook rice, but Uncle Ben's has ready rice (pouches serve two) http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ I would recommend the white or brown, not the flavored.

Minute Rice has indivdual ready to serve rice
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/94/MINUTEReadytoServeBrownRice.aspx

I love the brown rice; I haven't found the one mixed with wild rice. Again, white or brown, the chicken flavored bites.

With no family to cook for, I take one brown rice, one indivdual cups pinapple tidbits, and several pieces of Perdue frozen chicken pieces (like Bourbon chicken) to work. Nuke (microwave) the chicken and rice per package instructions, mix together with the pinapple - kind of like Chinese food - yummy.

kathi said...

p.s. I deleted my first comment because of spelling errors. I still have spelling errors - oh well!!

Lisa, love the picture with your two beau's - they use to fight over you, you hot thing!

lisaann said...

Yes, I have that effect on men...