Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Gracious Mother’s Day Mother

scan0003This is my mom, Dorothy, pictured here with my dad. This photo was taken in 1993 in the Lincoln Bedroom of the White House. They were taking a tour with his army reunion group. She has been gone for over 12 years and I miss her. I wish her a Happy Mother’s Day!
She was not into breakfast. She didn’t eat when she first woke up. She did like breakfast food and we occasionally had it for dinner. Or she would eat breakfast later in the morning, more like brunch. Because she didn’t eat breakfast, she didn’t cook breakfast. My dad was the weekend breakfast guru. He loved making fried eggs, homemade hash browns, bacon, cream of wheat, french toast and the occasional pancake. I loved everything he cooked except the pancakes. (Although in that era, and in a household of six, you ate what was served to you, unless it was fish or brussels sprouts.) They were from the all purpose mix from a box: Bisquick. Not my favorite.
As an adult I myself tried Krusteaz, which was an improvement, but not like pancakes found at diners or pancake houses. I eventually stumbled across a recipe printed in the Sacramento Bee that finally made breakfast at home great again. I thought I’d share it with you in case you wanted to make it for Mom. Or, moms, if you want to try it, you can print it out and give it to your little chefs.
Which brings me to explain the title of this post. As I remember Mother’s Day, I remember bringing Mom breakfast in bed with something that was probably not too palatable. She smiled, said thank you and ate it, or at least tried to eat it. Never once did she reject this love filled gift. Now I ask myself, how was she able to eat breakfast early in the morning just this one time a year? Because she loved me.
004
No Flap Jacks –from the Sacramento Bee
1 c flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 c milk
1 egg
1 to 4 tbsp melted butter
In deep bowl, mix dry ingredients with a whisk. Add wet ingredients stirring only enough to mix. Allow batter to rest 20-30 minutes. (Important step!)
001 Cook on medium hot, turning when bubbles don’t close up. Makes a dozen medium pancakes.
002
003
Happy Mother’s Day!

4 comments:

kathi said...

Lisa,

Your pancake experience was also hampered with you always got the "tester batch".

That was because you where the BABY, and wanted every thing FIRST. I didn't mind, in this case, because the first serving most likely were off the mark.

Anyway, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!! Your are a wonderful mother!!!! And a pretty exceptional sister too!

Love, Kathi

lisaann said...

Thanks Kat! I do remember the tester batch...Jack gets it now. I love you, sis.

Amanda said...

I LOVE breakfast food! I'll have to try this recipe and see if I like it any better than my standard pancakes, which are very good. I'm always looking for "the best" recipe for anything I make, though, so always glad to try something new. I can see I need to get a big griddle. I have a skillet that I can fit one at a time on, and it's getting ridiculous. My kids hate waiting for their pancake. The rule is whoever has been up the longest gets the first one, but there are still always complaints and moaning "when is mine going to be ready!?" Too bad I didn't think of this before. Darrel could have gotten that for me then he wouldn't have had to get up with the kids in the morning and make dinner tomorrow night.

That was a lovely story about your mom. Hope you have a great Mother's Day!

lisaann said...

I do love my griddle! And you have a Happy Mother's Day too. I think we're having Rhodes orange rolls for breakfast. Yum. Not many secrets here.