Friday, May 29, 2009

“Take Chances, Make Mistakes, and Get Messy!”

Ms. Frizzle and Liz
     Do any of you recognize this quote?  It is from everyone’s favorite teacher, Ms. Frizzle, from The Magic School Bus.  We watch all the episodes repeatedly at our house, by the way.  Yeah!  I tell  that saying to myself (in Ms. Frizzle’s voice performed by Lily Tomlin) often these days.
It’s been over five weeks since I began writing this blog, but it seems like a lot longer.  Part of the reason, I think, is that starting it was not an easy decision for me.  I was filled with insecurities:  No one would read it, no one would “get”  it, no one would like it.  Also, I’m not really a great cook, but I like to cook, and I like to eat great-tasting food (too much!)  But, it was an idea of mine that didn’t seem to ever go away, so I finally just did it.  I posted and I told a few people, even mentioned it on facebook.  Then, for what seemed like forever, I waited.  It took a while, but people finally started to tell me they read, some commented right on the site, some even became official followers.  I networked with a couple of friends that were already blogging for technical help and learned how to post pictures better.   My husband seemed to have mixed views from the beginning, mostly because he’s worried I’ll go on and on about him somehow.   So, I have tried to include him on my plans, ask his permission before taking a photograph of him (who could forget the chocolate chip cookie photo?),  and tried not to write every night so that I wouldn’t be neglecting anyone.  
So, I took chances, made mistakes, and got messy.  I still have the insecurities but I also have a sense of accomplishment.  I have filled, in a small way, a need I have to be creative.  And it makes me smile.   My inner dialogue (don’t worry, this part is not in Lily Tomlin’s voice, no auditory hallucinations here!)  continues to speak as loudly as it did in the beginning:  “You’re writing this for yourself, even if no one else ever reads it or tries a single recipe.”  That should be enough.
In this mood of being okay with taking chances, I decided it was high time I tried a brand new recipe and report on it, good, bad or ugly.  I found it through a link I was emailed from cooking.com, one of my favorite online stores to window shop for cooking gear.  (Yes, I actually do dream about new cookware from time to time.)  It’s for key lime pie, a summer favorite of mine, which I’ve never before attempted.
005 
Key Lime Pie
crust:
1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon melted butter (original recipe called for margarine
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
filling:
Two 14 ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk
5 large egg yolks
grated zest of 1 lime
1 cup fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat the inside of a 9 inch pie pan with 1 tsp. melted butter.  In small mixing bowl, combine graham crackers, sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter.  Press into pie dish bottom and sides.  Bake for 10 minutes.
In a larger bowl, whisk all the filling ingredients.  Pour into shell, bake for another 10 minutes.  Cool on wire rack until room temperature.  Chill well before serving.
My Recipe Review  - Graded as a B++
Overall, I am very pleased with the pie.  It was easy to combine, using not too fussy of ingredients.  I used about 10 limes (medium sized.)  I was worried about the baking time being too short but compared it to other recipes and it was in line.  The color of the pie was yellow (commercial bakeries must add green food coloring) and the green lime zest was a little off-putting visually.  I think in the future I would grate it more finely.  But the filling was creamy, tart, and tasty.  The crust was delicious and helped ground the pie.  Because of the richness, it probably should be for 10 or 12 servings.  Curt thought it could use a dollop (my interjected vocabulary word, obviously) of whipped cream or cool whip.
Below are pictures of the process:
001 Did you know that they sell already crushed crumbs?
002 The crust after baking
003 Pie filling in crust, before baking
004
Right out of oven, will set up a bit while cooling

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks delicious! And how many times do people have to tell you how fun and well-written your blog is for you to believe it? You know I'm not one to just tell people what they want to hear. Or, as Darrel's cousin put it once, "I know you'll tell me exactly what you think". Not sure if this quality is good or bad, but it is what it is. Anyway, this blog is really for you, though it is nice to know when you have an appreciative audience. Keep on cookin' Lisa!

lisaann said...

Just airing my neuroses in public, Amanda. Thanks for your support!

Sarady said...

Lisa,
I feel horrible that this is the first time I have visited your blog. Please forgive me. Anyway, your post had me laughing (you are a great writer!) with the Lily Tomlin voice. I'm glad you took a chance and got messy, but I see no mistakes :)

Thank you for your sweet comment on our blog the other day. I want you to know you can call anytime. But if I don't answer, it's not personal--I'm just up to my eyeballs in something or other (probably breastmilk). I have been so grateful for your visits while I was in the hospital and the calls and your support. It's bringing tears to my eyes right now just thinking about all the ways you have served me since I've known you. Thank you so much, Lisa.

Love,
Sarah

Chelsey said...

You are brillant!!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I love reading your blog. Although I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, I find myself actually thinking about cooking more. One of these days I'll get there!

Janet

kathi said...

I agree, Lisa, you are a terrific writer. I think starting your writing career with a blog is a good first step.

You should also make notes on story lines and try your hand at fiction or magazine articles. (Guideposts come to mind.) Then I can brag about my sister the writer!