Friday, June 5, 2009

Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy!

I know, I know, another children’s show reference.  Forgive me.
It’s quite odd, the way the blogging process has been this past week.  It’s been hot here, and all I have felt like making is fruit salad.  I’m not sure I have a lot to say about that.  But an occurrence here has captured my mind and I can’t let it go.  So, if you kind readers don’t mind indulging me, I am going to attempt to write through my “cooking block” by just sharing my sick, silly story along with a few other random thoughts.
Macaroni and Cheese, part I                                                                     I was making a meal Wednesday, macaroni and cheese, but alas, no fruit salad (I ran out of strawberries), and had the 3 tablespoons of butter softening somewhat near the boiling pasta water when I heard a thump and saw our sweet, well, let’s say spirited, maybe, dog run off in a hurry.  At first I thought she snagged an apple wedge which would only serve her right since she doesn’t really enjoy them, so I wasn’t too concerned.  Thirty seconds later, I realized she stole the butter!  By the time I caught up to her, all that remained was the paper liner.  GROSS!   I kind of took it as a sign.  A flashing neon one warning me that I wasn’t really having any fun in the kitchen that day.
025 Jewels, photo taken by Jack, 5/25/09
99% Dog, 1% Human                                                                                  For the past two days, Jack has been telling me with concern that after a playful nibble from Jewels, he is turning into a dog himself.  This sudden change, he explains, means he doesn’t need his nails trimmed and he is becoming more furry by the minute.  Also, he wants to drink liquids from a plastic bowl.  He even poured a bowl of Froot Loops, called it dog food and ate from the bowl as such.   When he ventured Thursday night into the theory that he has now become 100% dog, I informed him that 100% dogs don’t get any Froot Loops and have to eat real dog food.  Well, Jack reconsidered and told me he was still 1% human, thank goodness.  In case you were wondering, his dog name is Jax.  At least his initials will be the same.
001 Let sleeping dogs lie
Macaroni and Cheese, part II                                                                   I used to love macaroni and cheese.  But the kind that I make for my husband and son no longer interests me.  It’s the kind my husband grew up with.  He doesn’t like the Kraft packaged type, so I managed to perfect the recipe he taught me.  The two of them love it, so I make it when I’m in a hurry or on the occasion that I, myself, have better plans.  It involves boiling the pasta and draining.  While draining, use the same pan to melt butter over medium-low heat.  Mix pasta back in with melted butter and then add a touch of milk.  Once the milk is warmed up to bubbly, mix in the grated cheddar and stir until melted and distributed.  Serve.  If you want the exact measurements, I can get them to you, but I’m a bit embarrassed to include them because I don’t love the dish.  But who am I to say that that the taste buds of my two boys don’t count?
Fruit Salad                                                                                                            I have tried fancy fruit salad recipes before, but in my way of thinking, the fresh fruit should be the star.  So, my fruit salad has been pretty simple.  I like to include a lot of strawberries, sliced.  I add some frozen blueberries* I have on hand and pick at least one other fruit.  I personally like ripe bananas.  But you need to cut them into the salad soon before serving to avoid the ugly browning.  I also like halved grapes or cut orange segments.  Not a fan of chopped apples, especially if they have the skin on them.   To keep it really healthy and avoid browning, I just pour a little orange juice in and stir it up.
Pretty simple.  I think you could eat this salad every day and be happy! 
003
(*I like to flash freeze fresh blueberries in season, at a good price, on a cookie sheet.  Then, place in a well sealed zip lock type bag with excess air removed, in the freezer.  They thaw quickly for fruit salad, pancakes, muffins, or oatmeal.  Last year, Jack and I even hand-picked some of our blueberries in nearby Naches!)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

As always, you leave my hungry for more Lisa. Loved the story about Jax the dog! What an imagination! Thanks for the tip about freezing blueberries. Nowhere around here to go pick our own, so we have to rely on Coscto. I don't love blueberries plain, but they sure dress up a fruit salad. Lately when Grace is done eating our blueberries, I use the rest to make these delicious blueberry scones that can be frozen in dough form and cooked up at a later date. They're full of butter, so of course they are excellent. I'll bet Jewels has a very shiny coat after her little snack. I just hope it didn't make her sick all over your carpet!

lisaann said...

Amanda, I think you must send me the scone recipe!!! Jewels has seemed sick, but at least nothing on the carpet.

kathi said...

Tell Jax, "harf, barf, jarf"; he'll know what that means (just in case, "Happy Birthday Jax")

Your Cuzzy said...

Lisa,
I LOVE your blog, you are such a talented writer! I hope Jack enjoyed his b-day. Did he have a special birthday dinner?

Hope Jewels is OK, my cat also loves butter. We often find him on the kitchen counter (while we're in the dining room) hence, his nickname: Butter-Licker.

I'm with you on the simple fruit salad recipe, I also freeze raspberries we've picked. Although, they don't stay as solid. Nice in January, to defrost and drizzle on pound cake.

Keep up the blog, I really enjoy it!
K.