Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cooking Pointers From The Boss

Regular readers other than Karen and Janet might be surprised to know that I love The Boss.  Meaning Bruce Springsteen.  My early 20’s found me playing Springsteen loudly on my cassette player in my gold Ford Tempo with the windows down (well, the car didn’t have air conditioning), sunroof popped up as I drove down to our town beach.  Karen might not remember having to ask me not to sing so loudly (and obnoxiously, I’m sure) so she could hear Bruce, but I kind of do.  And who could forget those ‘Born in the USA’ concerts in New Jersey!

I knew all the lyrics by heart because I half believed he was writing and singing to me.  That same half left me wanting to run away with Bruce in an old muscle car into the hot Jersey summer sunset.  All of my young adult angst connected with the poet/songwriter and his lyrics of raw passion.  One specific lyric, from his classic “Thunder Road,” I truly found puzzling, insulting and hopeful all at the same time.  Here it goes:
“You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me”
While I no longer relate to the above words on such a personal level (in my advanced age!), I occasionally have found them singing to me when I cook.  Today’s recipe is a perfect example.  Porcupine Meatballs.  I received this recipe from Amanda, who adapted it from The Betty Crocker Cookbook.  A protein and a side dish all in one.  It’s kid friendly, easy to make, and a skillet meal that doesn’t heat up the oven.  But, let me be clear,  Porcupine Meatballs are neither flashy nor glamorous.   So - thanks, Bruce, for helping me find the words of inspiration to be ‘alright’ in this dish’s serving.
023                                     ‘Ain’t a beauty,’ but it’s good!
Porcupine Meatballs
3/4 c rice (uncooked)
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp salt
Dash of each:  celery salt, garlic powder, pepper
chopped onion to taste
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/4 c water
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix rice, ground beef, salt, celery salt, garlic powder, pepper and onion.  Form into meatballs.  Brown in frying pan.  Add water, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce.  Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until rice is done.  Serves 4-6.
Shown below:  1. mix meatball ingredients, remember rice is uncooked  2. browning meatballs 3. after sauce is added.
020021022

6 comments:

Your Cuzzy said...

I made something similar to this without even knowing it! Last week I was making stuffed peppers. Ryan doesn't care for peppers cooked so I made the stuffing part...ground beef, rice (cooked and instant as stated before I don't do rice well), parmesan cheese and tomato sauce and made this into meatballs and cooked them alongside the peppers. Who knew I created my very own recipe!

On another note, we went to see BRUUUUUCE last summer. Great concert as always!

Your Cuzzy said...

I forgot to sign my name to the above comment. It was me, Janet.

lisaann said...

Janet-I'm so Jealous about the concert. Your meatballs sound great to me because of the parmesian cheese. See, you do cook! Lisa

Amanda said...

Glad you enjoy the meatballs! I do actually make it with cooked rice when I have some and it's good that way, too. Leave it to you to find an intriguing and poetic way to introduce this recipe!

Your Cuzzy said...

LOL! I thought you were going to use the line:
"It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win".
I did NOT tell you to stop singing so I could hear Bruce!! I'm sure I was singing at the top of my lungs too.
I hear Patti made these meatballs for Bruce last week... she got the recipe from his mom, which was actually the inspiration for Thunder Road.

lisaann said...

Karen, if Patti makes these meatballs, I'm not sure that Bruce can say "I'm on fire" for her, but at least he'll have a full stomach!