Monday, June 8, 2009

What Snap, Crackle and Pop Won’t Tell You

One of my fatal flaws is that I tend to believe some of the more reasonable conspiracy theories.  Nothing on the level of aliens abducting Elvis, but maybe, for example, I believe that the danger of  high fructose corn syrup is being hushed by the big soda company lobbies.  I am quite open to the possibilities of cover-ups, bribes and hush money being afloat in our world.  And while I won’t say for certain that any conspiracy exists without tangible proof, I definitely won’t discount that odd coincidences sometimes are more than just coincidence.
One of these so-called coincidences intersects with the culinary world, I am here to report.  It is that the recipe printed (now both in English and Spanish, you may be surprised to know) inside the box of Rice Krispies for Rice Krispy Treats is all wrong.  Have you tried it lately?  It’s dry, lacking in sweetness and too heavy on the Krispies.   One thing it has going for it is that it cuts and retains its shape while serving, but that is only because it’s terribly dry.  Was it always like this?    Perhaps Kellogg’s adjusted the measurements a few years back when recipes began to report nutritional information per serving.  I don’t know.
010
What I DO know is that a neighbor from Utah once made our family the BEST Rice Krispy treats ever tasted and since then I have known that I had been lied to by the powers that be.  Shortly after tasting the evidence, I quizzed Julie and she admitted she used more butter and more marshmallows than called for in the printed recipe.  She is one of those talented cooks who eye-balls the measurements, so my recipe below is an approximation of hers that I have tried and tested.  They aren’t as bricklike as the official recipe, so you’ll have to take more care in serving, but that sacrifice is well worth the perfectly tasting rice krispy treat experience.  Pass the word.
009
Better Rice Krispy Treats
1 stick of butter
16 oz. bag of marshmallows
8 cups of Rice Krispies
Pam cooking spray
In an extra large glass or ceramic bowl, microwave butter and marshmallows on high for 2 minutes.  Spray bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan or larger jelly roll pan with Pam.  Also spray a wooden or plastic spoon and the bottom of a spatula.
Stir butter and marshmallow mixture with coated spoon.  If butter is still not fully melted, microwave an additional 30 seconds and stir.  Repeat until butter is melted and mixture is well combined.  Add rice krispies, mix and pour into pan.  Press top of mixture down with spatula until it appears to be uniform.  Cool completely (if your family will let you) before cutting.
008 after pressing flat with spatula
Happy 8th Birthday Jack!!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

My thoughts exactly! There's no point to making Rice Krispie treats if the marshmallow/butter to krispie ratio isn't right. I vote for your recipe.

Chelsey said...

Delightful!!! Thank-you!

The Davis Family said...

I wish I was a food taster at your house... After I read your blogs- Im always so hungry =) I totally agree about the Rice Crispy treats... definately too dry if you follow their directions.

Anonymous said...

I used the recipe on the back of the Top Foods Marshmallow bag. I think the bag is like 10oz big. I then added almond extract and a very small amount of salt. My family raved!!