Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Family History

I am what you call a mutt.  Genealogically speaking, of course.  (OF COURSE!)  Family records state that I am German, English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French and Danish.   The celebrated heritages in my home were generally German and English (and the Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.)  In cooking terms, that meant Sauerbraten, sauerkraut, and sausage for the German food fans and stuffed cabbage and lots of meat and potatoes for the English.  And my grandma made Irish Soda Bread every March 17th.  That’s pretty much it.   Walla Walla 049 When I lived in California, Judy told me about Danish Dessert.  She said she stockpiled it whenever she took a trip back to Utah.  (They do carry it in some stores here in Washington.)   The box describes its contents as follows: 
“This unique, easily prepared dessert originates from an original recipe of the Danish favorite, Rodgrod.  Simply add water, heat and enjoy for the tastiest pudding, pie filling or glaze this side of Europe.”
Imagine that, the tastiest dessert this side of Europe!  I checked on the internet to see what exactly rodgrod is.  It’s a  recipe of fruit soup with medieval origins and seems more like a pudding by today’s terms.  And it was served with fresh cream.  I wonder if my great great grandfather Andreas Lorentzen, the source of my Danish bloodline, liked his rodgrod!
When I did finally end up in Utah, a different coworker gave me a great recipe for a raspberry dessert using this brand of raspberry flavored fruit pudding and frozen raspberries.  Very fancy schmancy!  It is impressive.  I finally had a use for Danish Dessert!
This time of year it’s easier, though,  to make its poorer cousin: the same basic dessert  recipe but changed to use the strawberry  flavored pudding and strawberries.  Very delicious and summer friendly.  It’s a hit with both Curt and Jack.  I’ve made it for my in-laws, too, and they seemed to really enjoy it.  Let’s just forget the name ‘rodgrod,’ okay?  It doesn’t sound very appetizing in the English language at all.
Danish Dessert Cake
1 large angel food cake, broken into pieces
1 package strawberry Danish Dessert*
8 oz Cool Whip or 1 pint of whipped cream
4 cups sliced strawberries*, frozen works well too
Make Danish Dessert according to directions on the box for pudding.  While still hot, stir in frozen berries.  Cool slightly before adding berries if fresh.
Put cake pieces into a 9x13 pan and pour pudding and fruit mixture over top.  Top with cream or cool whip and set in fridge overnight.
*If using raspberries, follow as above using raspberry flavored Danish Dessert.
Walla Walla 050
Don’t be afraid to pile on the cake pieces, they compress with the pudding on top
Walla Walla 051The color when you first start cooking the pudding
Walla Walla 052After cooking
Walla Walla 053
Walla Walla 062
 Walla Walla 063
This photo doesn’t do it justice, it’s very good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!

Your Cuzzy said...

I think I had this creamy pudding dessert in Germany. They used it as a filling in a layer cake. Delish!

lisaann said...

Karen-I'd be interested to know if they sell this stuff back east. It would be with the jello. Thanks for your great comments!