Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dynamite!

Te he. I couldn’t help but ...
When I was making the pizza crust last week, I consulted my KitchenAid cookbook.  On a nearby page, I saw a recipe for pecan rolls.  Now let me tell you, I love cinnamon rolls but have yet to make any that are “perfect.”  And while these weren’t cinnamon rolls, I knew they were similar so they caught my eye.  As I read the recipe, I laughed when I noticed right under the title was printed:  Dynamite!  I immediately thought of Jimmie “JJ” Walker from the old sitcom Good Times and had myself a giggle. 

Good Times Title Screen.jpg
Now, while I enjoyed the show, I don’t think making the actor annoyingly rework his catchphrase again and again was brilliant television.  But, I find it hysterical that reading this catchphrase (albeit spelled differently) in a cookbook brought the actor’s facial expressions and vocal inflections  instantly to my mind.  Also, the audacity of the cookbook author compilers to brag about their recipe struck me with awe and curiosity.  So, I had to try it!

And??? After many failed attempts at cinnamon rolls, I found a sweet roll recipe that is Dyn-O-Mite!

If you are interested in what Jimmie Walker is up to these days, I found his website, which I list below.  It seems he mostly does stand-up comedy now.

http://www.dynomitejj.com/front.html

001
 Pecan Rolls from The KitchenAid Cookbook

1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup butter, divided

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)

1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)

3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 egg

1 1/4 cups brown sugar, divided

3/4 cup chopped pecans


Scald milk; stir in 1/4 cup butter, sugar and salt.  Cool to lukewarm.  Dissolved yeast in warm water in bowl.  Add lukewarm milk mixture, 2 1/2 cups flour, and egg.

Attach bowl and dough hook.  Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute, until well blended.  Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl.  Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.

Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Punch dough down.  Roll dough to a 12-inch square.   Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup pecans; sprinkle over dough.  Roll dough tightly, pinching seams together.  Cut into twelve 1-inch slices.

Melt remaining butter and add remaining brown sugar and pecans; mix well.  Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups.  Place one dough slice, cut side up, into each muffin cup.  Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.  Invert pan on wire rack.  Let stand 3 minutes, then remove.  Makes 12 rolls.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, you got me there, Lisa. Good Times was before my time, so I'm afraid I couldn't fully enjoy all the references. But the rolls do look fabulous!

lisaann said...

Amanda, I feel so very sorry that you missed out on all those silly 70's sitcoms. It's amazing we can even carry on a conversation, since I clearly have been warped by them! :)

Anonymous said...

These looks so good!

Smith Family said...

These look heavenly. And I must be older then Amanda, I do remember Good Times.
:)