Thursday, September 10, 2009

I’m Waffling!

If you’ve checked my blog this past week, you may have been a tad confused.  I keep changing the look of my blog!  For those of you who don’t particularly like change, I apologize.  I am not sure of what I’m doing at all, it seems.
 
I thought I found the perfect blog template, it was lovely.  There was a classy, pretty photograph of a bowl of cherries which I liked for many reasons.  One is that I love photography.  Two is that I love red.  And three is that it fit my blog theme.  But, it was extra narrow and the transparency of the page to allow you to still see the photo made it hard to read the text.  So today I tried on several others.  (Once you get the hang of deleting the old, then copying and pasting on the new “HTML,” it goes very quickly.)  I finally found this red and brown print one that I really like, although it has no food or cooking references.  But I’m sticking with it, at least to the end of this week…
 
My fear is that all my crazy mood/template swings will cause you to just stop checking in.  Please bear with me.  I think it’s my advanced age and accompanying hormonal changes.  I do notice that I am becoming a bit (more) flighty and irritable at times.
 
Hopefully, the recipes are helpful, regardless of the presentation.  A month or so ago, Gail told me she had made my sloppy joe recipe for her family and that they liked it a lot.  I was thrilled to hear that!   Keep the feedback coming.
 
Meanwhile, I wanted to share with you one of my favorites from The Joy of Cooking.  It’s for waffles.  I’ve stuck to this recipe for several years and it always turns out delicious.  In the cookbook, they advise using 4 tbsp. of butter for lower fat waffles, 8 tbsp. for regular and 16 tbsp. for extra crispy.  I go back and forth between the 4 and the 8 and don’t notice a dramatic difference, so I’m sticking with the 4.  I also cool extras on a cake rack.  Once cool, I put them in baggies and freeze.  On school mornings, they toast up right from the freezer like eggos, but are so much better.  And the waffle iron has never needed any vegetable spray, since the butter in the batter is sufficient.  My final tip is to use a plastic spaghetti fork to remove the waffles from the iron.  It works wonderfully.
006
Lisa’s Waffles from The Joy of Cooking
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp of melted unsalted butter
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
 
Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in center.  In smaller bowl, whisk wet ingredients, add to dry ingredients, mix gently until dry ingredients are blended.  Batter will still appear pebbled.  Add to waffle iron and cook according to iron instructions.  Makes 12 six inch waffles.
002
003
       an ice cream scoop is handy to put batter on iron
warm up the syrup for an added touch

2 comments:

DS said...

I use a laddle to put my batter into the waffle iron.

DS said...

I dont mind the changes. When I get the chance I like to see what you have been upto in the kitchen!