Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Let Sigourney Weaver Make Your Meatloaf!

Sigourney Weaver in "Galaxy ...

My husband owns a cassette tape (yes, we’re that old!) by comedian Jeff Foxworthy.  When we first were married, he played it for me and we both found one bit extremely funny.  Funny enough that we still refer back to it for comedic relief even today.

Here’s how I remember the joke:  Jeff tells of eating dinner with his wife.  She had prepared meatloaf.  He begins talking about how much he loves Sigourney Weaver (this must have been right after Alien.)  Not being smart enough to know when a conversation is really annoying his wife, he continues on and on about Sigourney.  Finally, his wife blurts out icily before stomping out of the kitchen:  “Well, let Sigourney Weaver make your meatloaf, then!”

Now, we get along well, Curt and I.  But it’s natural to occasionally feel underappreciated, especially in comparison to a perfect looking, seemingly put together Hollywood star.  So I’m not spilling the beans to admit that the following sentences have been uttered in our home (at least once):

“Well, let Teri Hatcher do your laundry!”

“Why don’t you have Matthew McConaughey mow the lawn?”

This simple mutual joke always brings a smile to my face.  It also gives pause for time to really acknowledge the one I love and depend on the most.  I must admit, though, I now think of our joke every time I make and serve meatloaf!

005

Lisa’s Tangy Meatloaf

1/2 cup catsup

2 tbsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp powdered dry mustard

4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp seasoned salt

1 1/2 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 egg

2 tbsp finely chopped green pepper (optional)

3/4 cup bread crumbs

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

In large bowl, combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard.  Reserve 4 tbsp for topping.  To remaining mixture, add Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and egg.  Blend well.  Stir in green pepper.  Add bread crumbs and ground beef.  Mix well and shape into loaf in shallow baking pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 65 minutes.  Spread catsup mixture on top of loaf.  Bake an additional 15 minutes.

002Make up the topping first, reserve 4 tbsp, then mix in the spices in remaining sauce

003I use an 8x8 pan to allow fat to drip away from loaf

004spread the topping, bake for 15 more minutes

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've always loved your meatloaf story!

kathi said...

Funny stuff! The only thing I would do to your meatloaf, is to add Bacon Strips - everything's better with bacon! :)