Friday, September 4, 2009

Obsessions of a Cooking Blogger

Tonight, as I was frantically doing various Google searches (which have been mysteriously and curiously replaced on my server by Bing searches without an iota of market research from me) about Rice Krispy Treats, my husband walks by and says “Face it, you’re obsessed.” And as I follow him into the kitchen where he is cataloging a few (ha!) baseball cards he adds “And I know obsessed.” My simple observation on both comments is that he is dead right.


As my faithful readers (I think there are a couple) have already learned from my June 8th posting, I use an alternative recipe for Rice Krispy Treats. My assertion at the time was that the Kellogg’s company at some point changed the recipe to lessen the butter and marshmallows and, thus, the palatability. Now I have the proof!


One night, after the rest of my household was asleep, I was flipping through the myriad of useless satellite channels searching for a reason to stay up much too late. I tuned in to The Food Network’s show Unwrapped and was thrilled to see that they were reviewing the history of the Rice Krispy Treat! They flashed a 1940’s cereal box with the then recipe very quickly but made no mention that the recipe has since changed. I jumped to my remote and hit the record button for the DVR. Yeah technology!


As I was able to watch, pause, rewind and pause again, I found the original recipe ingredients, concocted by an employee named Mildred Day in 1928 and first printed on the cereal box in 1940, read as follows:

1/3 cup butter
1/2 lb. marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla, optional
5 1/2 oz rice krispies
What??? In terms of my version’s quantity of cereal, that would translate to about:
15 tbsp butter
1.4 lbs marshmallows (1 plus 2/5 of a large bag)
1 plus 1/4 tsp of vanilla

Bottom line, it’s way more butter and marshmallows to cereal than I even use, so I totally feel vindicated. (Okay, I’ll freely confess that I’m obsessive about both my postings and my specialty dishes.) And who ever knew about the vanilla? Next time I make treats I’ll have to try the extract. My friend Debbie commented that she has also seen a recipe with almond extract. Wow, that sounds good too. It seems we’ve blown the roof off of the current politically correct Kellogg’s official recipe!


Power to the people!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Go Lisa! Viva la revolution!

Anonymous said...

Still waiting to sample the original treat!

Smith Family said...

I have always loved the treats with extra butter and marshmallows myself. They aren't a treat with the new recipe.

Your Cuzzy said...

LOL!! So funny! Love the little figurines! I remember liking them much better when I was a kid, and perhaps that's the reason why! You're an inspiration to all!